Dream Symbols: Body Parts: Legs
Dreaming of legs invites us to look at what is going on with our basic foundations, our beliefs and attitudes that support our outlook on life, and our ability to move around – either physically or metaphorically.
If legs are important in our dreams we can consider how key phrases might apply to our life.
If we have no legs, or have lost or legs, maybe there is some conviction we hold that we should consider changing our mind on, as we “don’t have a leg to stand on.” Or maybe we feel as out of control as when intoxicated, and feel “legless.” This could be a good thing, if it is associated with a love interest for instance, which might make us go “weak at the knees.” Dreams of losing our legs, or having weak legs might even indicate we need to take a stronger stance in some matter and “stand up for ourselves.”
Other phrases that might be helpful are:
- To shake a leg – see a leg being shaken, or even shaking your own leg? Maybe we need to hurry up with something
- To break a leg – usually applied to success on the stage, might mean a sense of having to perform well in front of others, fear of not performing, or wishing someone else to perform well
- An arm and a leg – if you dream of these two limbs conspicuously together, it might be indicating a high cost. So what in your life do you feel is costing you too much, maybe in terms of time, energy, focus or actual money?
- Pulling your leg – is something literally pulling at your leg in your dream? It might be something trying to get your attention, or it could be a sign of someone having a bit of a joke, not being really serious. Is there something in your life you are taking too seriously, or somewhere you should look beyond face value at what is really going on? It might just be a joke…
- Give or receive a leg-up – this might be the act of hoisting someone up, or being helped, or it could be a physical act of literally lifting up a leg somewhere in a dream. Is there someone who is helping you advance in life, or are you helping someone else, or could this be even just helping yourself get on with things?
- Leg of the journey – often refers to the last part, so could encourage us to question something we have been looking to make progress on, how far have we come, and how far do we have to go?
Legs of course also give us mobility, so we can look to how we are moving as a reflection to how we feel about our own ability to move ourselves through life and make progress with our goals and tasks. Are we running freely, with energy and strength? Or are we dragging our feet, reluctant to go forward? Maybe we are part of a group, or perhaps someone has given us “marching orders” maybe implying it is time to either leave or get on with something.
Dreams of legs can be about own confidence and mobility. When we learn to walk as a baby, we are on the way to maturity and becoming and adult. Leg dreams may appear when we are learning new things, going through phase of growth and development, where it can feel like we are learning to walk all over again.
But remember, we must learn to walk before we run. And then when we can run, we can learn to fly…